SoBro has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “SoBro CFO” in the subject line of your emailed application
The South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation’s (SoBro) mission is to enhance the quality of life in the South Bronx by strengthening businesses and creating innovative economic, housing, educational and career development programs for youth and adults. SoBro is based in the South Bronx but serves the entire borough as well as areas of East and Central Harlem. For over 50 years, this comprehensive community and economic development nonprofit has helped youth to develop and grow, provided educational and vocational opportunities for adults, supported children with afterschool programs, brought new industries and businesses to the neighborhood, developed and managed housing which is affordable for low- and moderate-income individuals and families, created standards and resource opportunities for industrial businesses, promoted MWBEs and increasing contracting opportunities for all small businesses.
As SoBro continues to expand and refine its programming and networks, it needs a strong financial professional who can help plan and execute strategic initiatives to increase SoBro’s ability to make positive change. As such, SoBro is seeking its next Chief Financial Officer who will be an experienced financial professional with a track record of organizing a growing organization.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of SoBro is responsible for aligning financial reserves with the setting the mission and vision of the organization and for and identifying concrete ways to engage in increasing financial reserves and cost-savings, such that the organization develops into a stable, sustainable organization with longevity. Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will direct a professional team of five including a Controller, Senior Accountant, A/P and A/R staff and Payroll staff – with the intention to further build out this Department as needed. The CFO will also direct those responsible for producing annual Tax and other compliance documents and reports.
The right candidate will have a proven track record of leadership in senior management positions for significant institutions. They will act as a trusted advisor to the CEO and the Board, and will be an accountable, critical partner to the management team and the staff. The successful candidate will understand and demonstrate experience in business planning and positioning in a complex organizational structure. They will have experience handling multiple funding sources and an ability to articulate successful strategies to maintain fiscal viability.
The CFO will manage a team of people with diverse skills. Candidates must be adept leaders with an ability to develop colleagues aligned with organizational values of accountability and autonomy. Further, the successful candidate will have strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills, a hands-on management style, and the ability to address and solve problems or issues proactively. In addition, they should be diplomatic, be an active and engaged problem solver, and possess sound judgment and discretion.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Serve as internal consultant to the CEO, CAO, Board, VP Development, Human Resources, Program staff and other key stakeholders on all financial matters, making recommendations and suggesting pro-active strategies to keep SoBro on track.
- Provide oversight for and manage all budgets, forecasts and internal financial plans and processes.
- Support accounting, general ledger, and operations functions, ensuring that systems are in place to guarantee timeliness and accuracy.
- Drive best financial practices within SoBro, keeping the senior leadership team and Board up to date on SoBro’s financial status and by generally serving as a point of reference for all growth plans and projects within SoBro.
- Explore and suggest how SoBro can invest its reserves and resources to generate passive income.
- Review short and long-term goals in light of existing and projected financial resources available.
- Create data-based long- and short-term goals, budgets, and forecasts.
- Participate in all internal planning regarding SoBro’s proposed program expansion, to ensure alignment of program, outreach, and training plans with financial projections.
- Establish annual priorities and benchmarks and conduct regular reporting, measuring projections against actual performance.
- Generate weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as needed to monitor, evaluate and optimize cash-flow and liquidity.
- Build relationships with banks, donors, vendors, outside consultants and others as needed to keep close to SoBro’s major expenditures and sources of revenue.
- Utilize technology to optimize all reporting and analytical functions.
- Ensure that SoBro meets critical regulatory and legal compliance benchmarks.
- Keep up with new trends in the financial industry by attending conferences, participating in professional development and sharing this information with the senior leadership team.
- Support and manage a top-tier internal finance team including recruiting, training, and developing talented accountants, analysts, consultants, auditors, tax planners and payroll staff, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management, Master’s Degree and/or CPA preferred.
- At least 8 years’ senior financial leadership experience.
- More than 15 years’ experience total accounting/finance experience.
- Experience with integrating IT/Systems to improve accounting productivity and accuracy.
- Experience working with external auditors, compliance, and regulatory oversight.
- Commitment to results; ‘can-do” mindset; outstanding problem-solving ability.
- Experience at change leadership and change management.
- Strong motivational and staff leadership abilities.
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills.
- Sense of humor, integrity, personal sense of accountability.
- Knowledge of Office Suite and Excel and familiarity with software like Salesforce, Financial Edge, Yardi and Blackbaud.
For more information about SoBro, please visit their website at www.sobro.org
- COVID-19: All employees must show proof of vaccination for the COVID-19 virus, including booster shots.
- The work is on-site.
- Anticipated salary is $160,000 per year, plus benefits.
All positions at SoBro are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.